Monday, November 10, 2008

Granada & Sevilla

aahh I just woke up from my last nap before I start my first days work from my flat in Barcelona. I returned from the airport a few hours ago having spent the past 3 days of my week long vacation seeing Granda, Cordoba and Sevilla with Binx.

The venture ranged from relaxing to exciting in all the right places. All three cities we're gorgeous. The food, the sights, the atmosphere, the weather... all perfecto.

I've been reminded that I am not much for sight seeing. For example the Mosque in Cordoba was imaculet to say the least. Amazing architecture filled with priceless works of the catholic church and after about 15 minutes and 5 or 6 oohs and awes I'm done.

I get so much more about of the social content of a foriegn country then anything else. Which i am getting little to no exposure to here due to the massive language barrier.

That said there are a lot of none social aspects to Spain that I wish there was more of in San Francisco. In particular the narrow cobblestone streets. They are of course beautiful but more importantly they encourag less autoportation and more human powered movement.

Plus it helps that all three cities provide publicly usable bikes!!

My favorite part of Spain so far, particularly in Granada, has been sitting in small restaurants sipping coffee and eating cakes or drinking summer wine and eating ham sandwiches. It's quite nice.

There are a lot of these little tiny 30 to 50 person bars. Often long and thing with soft to no music. It's quite. The amenities are amazing and the atmosphere is just something I've never seen before in the states. I'm not much of bar person. I have only recently started drinking in the past few years and this is the first drinking environment I could see my self being drawn to on a regular basis.

Binx and I spent our last drink in Granada in a small bar packed full of maybe 40 people, no music, soft conversation, drinks for less then $2US and with each drink you got your choice of a free tapas. I could see my self dragging a few friends out to place like this every Friday night for a few light drinks and snacks.

Ok its just about time to start my work day. Hopefully Binx will post her pictures soon cuz I didn't take any =P but for now Granada, Cordoba, Sevilla.

No comments: